Finding your dream home is an exciting adventure that, at times, can also feel all-consuming. We hope you find the following information helpful in narrowing down those items most important to you in finding YOUR dream home.
Before you start your search -
- Check your credit score - Most conventional mortgages require a credit score of 620 or higher. Loans backed by the Federal Housing Administration require a minimum score to qualify; you should check with your lender for the lending program that fits your needs.
- Find a Mortgage Lender – This is one of the first steps in home buying, you need to connect with a lender that can pre-qualify you and give you direction as to how much property you can purchase . Granite Group Realty can suggest several lenders to choose from.
- Get pre-approved - a preapproval gives you an idea of how much you can borrow. It lets sellers know you have the borrowing power to back up an offer you make to buy their home.
- Find a Realtor® - Since 2007, Granite Group Realty, has provided a superior level of service to their clients. Through careful attention to detail, strict adherence to a high standard of ethics and dedication to service, we strive to deliver to our clients and customers the most professional real estate services available.
In preparation for meeting with your Realtor® -
- Know your budget (pre-approval) and be prepared to manage your expectations
- Develop a list of wants (features that you wish your ideal home would have) and needs (features that you cannot compromise on)
Things to consider in wants vs need
Style of home:
_ one-floor or more
_ log home
_ lake house _ seasonal _ year-round
_ mountain cabin _ seasonal _ year-round
Is easy access to school(s) and services important _ Yes or _ No
_ are you looking for an acre, or _ more or _ less
_ yard for children's or pet's play area
_ fenced yard
_ space for garden
_ patio and/or deck
_ shed or workshop
_ front porch
_ screen porch
_ Paint _ stain or _ siding.
_ Driveway _ paved or _ gravel
_ for how many vehicles
_ laundry room/area
_ Hardwood floors
_ number of bedrooms
_ number of bathrooms
_ adequate square footage
_ gourmet kitchen
_ appliances gas or electric
_ open concept
_ central air conditioning
_ walk-in closet(s)
_ en-suite master bath, double sinks
_ formal dining room
_ family room
_ separate den/office
_ hot tub